Here we go!
Kelowna vs Victoria: The Rockets breezed by Tri-City while Victoria got past PG in five. I’ll take the Rockets in five here. They are too good to let it last any longer.
PICK: Rockets in five.
Everett vs Portland: This one is a tough one to figure out. Both teams finished their opening round series in six games and both have dangerous weapons. I think Everett’s discipline and defence will make the difference in game seven.
PICK: Tips in seven.
Brandon vs Regina: Not many are giving the Pats a chance here but I think they have some magic. They’ll take one at home and one on the road.
PICK: Kings in six.
Calgary vs Medicine Hat: Injuries played a part in the Tigers slide in the new year but they just didn’t look all that impressive. They seem to have it back on track but I just can’t see them taking down Calgary in this series.
PICK: Hitmen in six.
The second round opens tonight. Let’s see if I have any idea what I’m talking about!
The first round of the Western Hockey League playoffs are complete and it’s time to take a look back at how I did on my earlier predictions.
Kelowna vs Tri-City – I took the Rockets in four.
Result: Good. This one wasn’t much of a stretch and the Rockets took care of business in four games.
Everett vs Spokane – I took the tips in six.
Result: Everett won the series in six games. So far so good.
Portland vs Seattle – I took Portland in seven.
Result: Portland won but it only took six. Still a win.
Victoria vs Prince George – I took the Royals in six.
Result: Victoria had to earn it but took the series in five.
Brandon vs Edmonton – I took Brandon in five.
Result: Brandon took the series in five.
Calgary vs Kootenay – I took Calgary in six.
Result: The Hitmen won in seven.
Regina vs Swift Current – I took the Broncos in seven.
Result: Oops! The Pats swept the Broncos. Good series though that could have gone longer.
Medicine Hat vs Red Deer – I had this one going seven with Medicine Hat winning.
Result: The Tigers won but in fie games.
HOW DID I DO? I think I didi pretty good. I went 7/8 when picking winners and even had the correct number of games right three times. I’ll take it. Onto the next round!
Attention: This has been sitting as an unsent draft so I’m sending it now.
I’ll get right to the point. Playoffs are starting and here are my picks:
Let’s start out West.
(1) Kelowna vs (8) Tri-City – Lowest goal-scoring total of any playoff team will make this the longest four-game series for the Americans.
PICK: Rockets in four.
(2) Everett vs (6) Spokane – Defence and discipline equal success for the ‘Tips.
PICK: Everett in six.
(3) Portland vs (4) Seattle – I really like Seattle and what they bring to the table. They’re young, good defensively, and finished the season strong. This one I feel will go the distance but in the end the fire-power of the Winterhawks will prevail.
PICK: Portland in seven.
(5) Victoria vs (7) Prince George – What an emotional ride for the Cougars as they end a tough playoff drought and have some momentum heading into this series. If they can split the first two then it’s wide open. Still think the Royals are too much though.
PICK: Royals in six.
To the East.
(1) Brandon vs (7) Edmonton – When you can roll four lines like the Wheat Kings can eventually a mismatch will take place. Wth the series going 2-3-2 the Oil Kings will sneak one during the three at home.
PICK: Brandon in five.
(2) Calgary vs (6) Kootenay – The ice have some special talent up front and if Wyatt Hoflin can play big this will be a good series. Calgary is deep and has some dynamite talent of their own. It’s featured on Shaw and will go six.
PICK: Calgary in six.
(5) Regina vs (8) Swift Current – The Broncos struggle on the road. Regina has been surprisingly good since unloading at the deadline. John Paddock has worked wonders. The series will be won when a team wins on the road.
PICK: Broncos in seven.
(3) Medicine Hat vs (4) Red Deer – The Tigers really struggled in 2015 but they seemed to get things on track late in the season. The Rebels are gearing up for the Memorial Cup but I don’t think they’re looking past this season. Get ready for a good series.
PICK: I think it’ll go seven. I flipped a coin. Tigers.